Things I have learned in the past few weeks:
1. How to insert a feeding tube into a 6 week old baby’s nose without sticking it down the wrong place.
2. A lot of medical jargon that would have really helped me appreciate the dialogue on ER at a whole new level. Lactate levels, pulse ox, CBC, tachypnea…I know what all of these mean.
3. Children are amazingly resilient and they will survive and even thrive when faced with tremendous trauma. They will also tell you when and if they want to fight, even newborns. In a few of the pictures I posted, you can see Addison in her fighting pose, ready to take on the world.
4. The parent cots at Children’s Hospital are horridly uncomfortable.
5. All the staff at Children’s Hospital are top-notch. It really is the best place to be if you are a sick kid in BC.
6. The love and support of family and friends can help you through the darkest days, even when it seems hope has nearly abandobed you.
7. Dr. Suess really was a literary genius.
Elaine, Aaron and Addison